The Global Handbook of Impact Investing
The Global Handbook of Impact Investing:
Solving Global Problems Via Smarter Capital Markets Towards
A More Sustainable Society
co-edited by Elsa de Morais Sarmento & HIP CEO R. Paul Herman
Published by John Wiley & Sons (April 2020)
Discover how to invest your capital to achieve a powerful, lasting impact on the world.
Founder and CEO of HIP Investor, Paul Herman and Elsa de Morais Sarmento co-edited this extensive recap of the current best practices and thought leadership over a wide range of sustainability specialties. They were joined by two dozen authors, renowned experts from finance, academia, and multilateral organizations from around the world.
The Global Handbook of Impact Investing: Solving Global Problems Via Smarter Capital Markets Towards A More Sustainable Society is an insightful guide to the growing world-wide movement of Impact Investing.
“This book is a must-read for anyone who believes that a greener and more sustainable world is the only way forward”
Hon. Jorge Moreira da Silva
Director, OECD Development Co-operation Directorate, former Minister of Environment, Energy & Spatial Planning for Portuga
The Global Handbook of Impact Investing shows how to:
- Realize positive impact and profit
- Integrate impact into investment decision-making and portfolio
- Allocate impactful investments across all asset classes
- Apply unique Impact Investing frameworks
- Measure, evaluate and report on impact
- Learn from case examples around the globe
- Pursue Best Practices in Impact Investing and impact reporting
While other resources may take a local or limited approach to the subject, this Handbook gathers global knowledge and results from public and private institutions spanning five continents. The authors also make a powerful case for the ability of Impact Investing to lead to substantive and lasting change that addresses critical problems across the world.
“This book explains why and how impact investors are achieving leaps of profitability and impact, providing a suite of strategies and solutions for investors who understand that the world of finance has changed. We have the immense opportunity to improve the lives of illions while pursuing stronger financial returns.”
Dr. Andrew Kuper
Founder and CEO, LeapFrog Capital; Board Member, Emerging Markets Private Equity Association (EMPEA).
Authors from The Global Handbook Of Impact Investing are featured on ESGX.org to discuss impact themes and investing approaches. Register for the series or rewatch previous episodes from Gender Lens to Place-Based Impact Investing.
Looking ahead, in future episodes, we will be joined by additional special guests who have authored chapters in the book. Topics will include:
- Expanding boundaries and sophistication of impact investing, including place-based investing
- The value of people in impact investing, including human capital valuation, gender lens investing, inclusive investing and diversity, and sustainable retirement plans
- The value of nature, climate, and planet in impact investing, including fossil fuel free investing, green transition bonds, social impact bonds, and climate impact bonds
- Measuring impact and systems-level evaluation, including impact measurement and management, transformative evaluation, geospatial analysis, and value chain and supplier impacts
- Impact experiences from around the globe, including China, India, Italy, Finland, and more
- The future of impact investing, including scaling up, entrepreneurial universities, multi-national corporates, regulatory, and fintech